Why do I feel better after I’ve cracked my neck?

I must have slept wrong last night

It is thought that one of the most common causes of neck ‘cracking’ is gas bubbles in the synovial fluid escaping a tight space. This synovial fluid is a lubricant between the joints, formed by a combination of carbon dioxide, nitrogen and oxygen.

If you deliberately roll your neck, it is thought that you can sometimes release these bubbles, resulting in a series of popping sounds that may sound like cracking. The release of the gas build-up explains why muscles or joints often feel looser and more comfortable after they’ve been ‘popped’ or ‘cracked’.

Read more:

Asked by: Kevin Harding, Bedford

To submit your questions email us at questions@sciencefocus.com (don’t forget to include your name and location)



from BBC Science Focus Magazine https://ift.tt/mjCUZVL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can volcanic eruptions affect the climate?

The best health gadgets to keep you fit in 2022

What’s the difference between wave energy and tidal energy?